IMPs (Inclusive Music Projects) - Senior IMPs
- Location: York High School, Cornlands Road, York YO24 3WZ
- Time: Mondays in term time 6pm - 7:30pm
- Cost: £5 (subsidised places available)
Who comes to Senior IMPs?
Senior IMPs is for disabled and non-disabled young people aged 11+ who love making music. Siblings and friends are welcome too.
Taking part in Senior IMPs helps you:
- Learn new musical skills
- Develop social and communication skills, including learning to use simple signs
- Develop skills in team working
- Develop leadership skills (you’ll get the chance to lead songs, warm-ups and music activities and to take part in our Apprentice Training Programme)
- Grow in confidence
- Meet new people and make new friends
What happens in a typical Senior IMPs session?
Senior IMPs gives you the chance to be in a singing and signing choir or join an accessible music making band. Typical session activities include:
- Warm-ups, to help your brain and body get ready for making music and singing
- Learning to sing and sign songs
- Creating new pieces of music and soundscapes using instruments and music technology
- Writing songs
- Working towards performances (we do at least two public performances each year)
The two groups rehearse separately for the first half of each session. Then they get together to share what they’ve been working on and work on pieces together.
At IMPs you can also work towards an Arts Award qualification and we support young people who are working towards Duke of Edinburgh Awards.
You’ll also get the chance to take part in our IMPs Committee. The Committee meets at least once a term. It’s a chance for IMPs members to tell us how things are going and feed into the development of the project. The Committee help us decide on creative themes and come up with ideas for social activities, days out and fundraising activities.
Some young people come to IMPs independently and others come along with a carer or support worker. Please feel free to contact us to discuss your individual support needs.
To find out more you can email us at [email protected] or call us on 01904 626965 for a chat.